SAUSAGE & BEAN SOUP
1 lb. dry beans your choice or 3-4 cans beans (I use northern, lentil, kidney, pinto or whatever I have on hand)
1 lb. sausage (spicy if you like it hot)
1 green pepper, diced
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 cans diced tomatoes (use diced stewed if you like)
salt & pepper to taste
1. Soak dry beans overnight in 6-8 cups water. Skip this step if using canned beans.
2. Rinse beans and put into crock pot. Add 4 cups water. If using canned beans, do do not drain, add to crock pot.
3. Brown sausage in skillet. Drain fat. Add to crock pot.
4. Add tomatoes, green peppers and brown sugar to crock pot.
5. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Stir.
6. Cook on low for 8 hours for dry beans, low 2 hours for canned beans. Check often. Times may need to be adjusted for your particular crock pot. Serves 8-10. Excellent with cornbread and fried potatoes!